Must be local to region and take face to face interview
Job Title: Senior Network Engineer
Location: Boston, MA
Contract Duration: Through 6/30/2020, extendable long term, no restrictions
As a Senior Network Engineer, you will be responsible for maintaining the design and integrity of the internal network, including customer-facing hosted and cloud environments. The engineer will provide expert technical assistance to team members with high-level system and networking request. This role will be responsible designing, implementing and testing complex infrastructure in support of our business customer needs.
As a member of the Network Team, the Senior Network Engineer will provide onsite and remote support on a 24x7 basis to our business customers who have critical response time requirements for their business technology systems. You will work independently and as part of a team to answer service desk calls, urgently analyze technical issues, address escalated issues, work with the project manager on team related projects, and troubleshoot over the phone/onsite/via remote access. This position will require flexible work hours for systems deployment and troubleshooting activities.
This engineer will successfully demonstrate the skills required to secure and manage network infrastructures to protect productivity, mitigate threats, and reduce costs.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- An experienced Network Engineer familiar with Cisco networking best practices.
- An experienced Network Engineer familiar with Cisco and Fortigate firewall best practices.
- An experienced Network Engineer familiar with Citrix Netscaler best practices.
- Thorough knowledge of Networking and Infrastructure
- Design, install and support of Routing, Switching and Security/VPN technologies in the WAN/LAN environment.
- Ability to work effectively as part of the Network team
- Willingness to participate and share in rotating on-call duties.
- Ability to respond to on-call / on-site situations within required SLA parameters (2 hr max drive time).
DETAILED STATEMENT OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work independently and with approved vendors and other state agencies to resolve network related issues.
- Creates and updates all documentation as it pertains to the current state of network architecture and new installations
- Functional knowledge on how to connect public and private networks while not compromising network stability.
- Functional knowledge of cable standards, multi/single mode fiber, proprietary and standard serial communication protocols
- Fundamental knowledge of PCI/PII requirements
- Planning and implementing future installations of network equipment and capacity planning.
- Engaging in high-level analysis and troubleshooting of network infrastructure.
- Performs all work in a cooperative and professional manner with other Team members.
- Provides technical expertise, direction and leadership to other team members.
- Performs research and analysis on all requests for problem resolution.
- Performs other related duties as requested by supervisor.
- Travel between facilities to maintain and deploy networking equipment
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED AT HIRE (List knowledge, skills, abilities)
- Proven experience with designing, configuring and troubleshooting complex networks.
- Expert knowledge of routing protocols (e.g. EIGRP, OSPF, RIP, and BGP) in a mixed environment.
- Knowledge of VLAN technology, VTP and STP protocols.
- Experience in Access Control Lists, Firewalls, Citrix Netscalers, VPN technologies, Wi-Fi technologies, Enterprise Wireless technologies and other security technologies.
- Solid understanding of network routers and switches.
- Knowledge of T1, T3, SONET, DWDM and OC technologies.
- Experience with Metro-Ethernet technologies.
- Experience in Network monitoring and management tools.
- Experience in VOIP and QoS.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Ability to work independently or in a team setting.
- Ability to adjust to changing situations to meet emergencies, program changes or production requirements.
- Knowledge of the methods and techniques of statistics.
- Undergraduate degree (BS) in Computer Science, Telecommunications, Electrical Engineering (or related technical degree)
- Relevant technical certification (current CCIE, CCNP)
- Extensive knowledge and experience in creating and updating Network Visio Diagrams
QUALIFICATIONS ACQUIRED ON JOB (List knowledge, skills, abilities)
- Knowledge of the policies, procedures, specifications, standards and guidelines governing assigned unit activities.
- Knowledge of the types and uses of agency forms.
- Applicants must have at least four years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, professional experience in network design and engineering.
- Applicants must have their own vehicle for travel between sites.