Locations: Pound, VA and Oakwood, VA
Pay Rate: $70/hour
Schedule: Monday – Friday, 20 hours per week
Length of Appointment: 30 days minimum – ongoing assignment until June 30, 2020
Candidate may work both locations for 40 hour work week.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Analyzes and interpret patients' histories, symptoms, physical findings or diagnosis information to develop appropriate diagnoses.
- Diagnoses or treats acute health problems, including but not limited to healthcare problems such as infection, illness or injuries.
- Recommends diagnostic or therapeutic interventions with attention to safety cost evasiveness, simplicity, acceptability, adherence, and efficacy.
- Prescribes medications based on efficacy, safety and cost as legally authorized also provide appropriate chemical or mechanical measures to assist offenders to improve behaviors
- Assists with preparation and modification of acute or chronic illnesses, tailoring instructions to patients' individual circumstances
- Provide evidence based health education to the inmate population
- Preferred prior experience in a Correctional Environment.
- Preferred experience treating in a public healthcare setting.
- Graduated from accredited school, licensed or eligible for license as Nurse Practitioner in state of Virginia.
- Extensive knowledge and information of how to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases and deformities, including but not limited to treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions and preventive healthcare measures.
- Comprehensive knowledge of mental illness and current Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) diagnostic criteria.
- Knowledge of professional and ethical standards of practice and interventions appropriate for the assigned population.
- Ability to function effectively as a member of an interdisciplinary treatment team and to communicate orally and in writing.