Network Support Technician
Pay Rate: $19.45/hour
Veteran Friendly Employer!
Our client is seeking an experienced Optical Network Terminal (ONT) Field Support Technician to join our team at Sandia National Laboratories in Albuquerque, NM.
Under general direction, the ONT Field Support Technician follows established procedures to configure and maintain hardware, operating software, and business applications; uses manual and automated methods to control information processing, identifies technical faults, and attempts initial problem resolution; participates in team problem solving and root cause analysis; composes and updates operational documentation such as checklists, procedure charts, and status reports; understands and complies with record keeping requirements, protocols, and standards; demonstrates general knowledge and proficiency with computing and/or telecommunications technologies; and recommends continuous improvement activities.
In this position, the ONT (Optical Network Terminal) Field Support Technician is responsible for replacing old ONTs with new ONTs throughout the Sandia, New Mexico site. Specifically, this position entails:
- Removing old ONTs;
- Installing new ONTs;
- Replacing connectors if needed;
- Ensuring a clean installation with all fibers and reconnect RJ-45 cables to affect proper cable management;
- Ensuring the two (2) systems of records are updated via automated tools;
- Ensure the Customer’s work area is restored after installation is completed.
The successful candidate must:
- Be able to obtain and maintain a DOE ‘Q’ level security clearance;
- Possess competent computer skills with emphasis on the applications required;
- Be familiar with networking and network troubleshooting;
- Familiarity with Fiber Networks;
- Ability to troubleshoot minor network issues;
- Request assistance from other team members when unable to restore customer’s network connectivity;
- Be able to understand and follow instructions;
- Be able to keep good records and update documents or reports as needed;
- Possess a valid driver’s license is required;
- Possess good written and verbal communication skills;
- Be capable of lifting 50 pounds on occasions, crawl under desks, frequently bend, use hand tools, operate in dusty environments;
- Be able to work periodically outside of normal work hours.
The successful candidate shall have a minimum of a high school diploma and 1+ years of experience providing technical IT support in a corporate setting. The candidate must also understand IT Service Management and delivery within an industry best practices framework such as ITIL.
- Familiarity with Sandia’s Tech Areas;
- An active ‘Q’ or ‘L’ level security clearance;
- Self-starter with the ability to effectively manage schedules and priorities;
- Knowledge of GPON networks;
- Familiarity with Sandia’s internal applications such as Mapping, Techweb, ICK