Medical Laboratory Technician
San Antonio, TX
Pay Rate: $23/hour
Full Time; Full Benefits: 401K, Dental, Life, Medical, Vision
**Veteran friendly employer**
- Candidate must supply copies of BLS certification, Military training certification/transcripts, Associate degrees, etc.
Medical Laboratory Technicians with Moderate and/or High Complexity Experience.
- Performing qualitative and quantitative testing in a high complexity clinical laboratory (moderate complexity for chemistry section) using various analyzers and/or manual methods on specimen sources such as blood, urine, and other body fluids using established procedures.
- Organizing work by matching computer orders with specimen labeling; sorting specimens; checking labeling; logging specimens. Arranging reports for delivery; keeping work surface clean and orderly in accordance to local protocol.
- Maintaining quality results by running standards and controls, verifying equipment function through routine equipment maintenance and advanced troubleshooting; calibrating equipment utilizing approved testing procedures; monitoring quality control measures and protocols.
- Processing biological fluids (blood, urine, and other body fluids) in accordance with established procedures.
- Maintaining positive identification of final reports and specimen from time of receipt until final released report.
- Recognizing and reacting to instrument malfunctions by troubleshooting and resolving minor problems, performing routine and periodic maintenance of all equipment as scheduled, and performing routine Quality Control (QC) to ensure all QC results fall within established control limits, as well as documents all corrective action.
- Entering patient results into the Laboratory Information System and recording new lots of reagents and runs appropriate quality control prior to releasing patient results.
- Maintaining occupational proficiency in the use of the Composite Health Care System (CHCS) and other LIS systems (i.e. HCLL, Essentris, LifeTrak) as required in performing daily tasks. Contributing to a safe and secure environment for patients, visitors and co-workers by following established standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations. Performing or assisting with CAP surveys as directed.
- Eligible to attain a National Agency Check (NAC).
MODERATE and/or HIGH COMPLEXITY TESTING PERSONNEL QUALIFICATIONS
Candidates MUST meet one of the following requirements:
- Be a high school graduate or equivalent and have successfully completed an official military medical laboratory procedures course of at least 50 weeks duration and have held the military enlisted occupational specialty of Medical Laboratory Specialist (Laboratory Technician) or
- Have earned a high school diploma or equivalent and have documentation of training appropriate for the testing performed prior to analyzing patient specimens. Such training must ensure that the individual have (a) the skills required for proper specimen collection, including patient preparation, if applicable, labeling, handling, preservation/fixation, processing or preparation, transportation and storage of specimens; (b) the skills required for implementing all standard laboratory procedures; (c) the skills required for performing each test method and for proper instrument use; (d) the skills required for performing preventive maintenance, troubleshooting and calibration procedures related to each test performed; (e) a working knowledge of reagent stability and storage; (f) the skills required to implement the quality control policies and procedures of the laboratory; (g) an awareness of the factors that influence test results; and (h) the skills required to access and verify the validity of patient test results through the evaluation of quality control sample values prior to reporting patient test results.