Electronics Support Engineer
Summary: The primary responsibility of the Technical Support Engineer (TSE) is to provide excellent service and support to our customer base by providing timely, accurate, and cost effective in-house depot service on customer owned equipment (mainly gas analyzers). The TSE will also be required to assemble and test various manufactured products. The TSE will satisfactorily complete other technical and non-technical assignments as directed by supervision.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Become a technical expert on the gas analyzers that we service.
2. Insures that all service work is done accurately, neatly, and in accordance with manufacturers’ specifications, and our policies and expectations.
3. Completes work, or provides services, on or before the due date promised.
4. Keeps management informed regarding unanticipated costs or delays.
5. Keeps accurate and legible records that document repair and test activities.
6. Communicates accurately with Purchasing Department regarding delivery and costs for parts and services needed to complete assignments.
7. Follows all safety rules established by management and known to the TSE from prior experience and personal knowledge.
8. Maintain all company owned test equipment. Items will be checked as needed to ensure accuracy, kept clean, and stored in the proper location when not in use. Requests for new or replacement equipment must be approved by supervision.
9. Answer the telephone occasionally when office staff is minimal. Customers will be treated with extreme courtesy and respect at all times. Information from customers will be accurately processed and recorded in the appropriate location in a timely manner.
10. Maintain network database information accurately and timely.
11. Find and suggest ways to save money during all company activities (but never at the expense of complete customer satisfaction).
12. Comply with all company policies and procedures.
Qualifications: The successful candidate will have a sufficient college, technical school, or military education to perform his/her job. Courses of study most helpful to this position are:
- Electronic components & circuits
- Embedded microprocessor technology
- Instrumentation and Control
- Data acquisition systems
- Knowledge and experience in both theory and application of these fields are strongly desired.
- Interpersonal skills are very important to perform the essential duties of the job. Interacting appropriately with customers, coworkers, and supervision creates a great office atmosphere that helps everyone maintain their focus towards customer commitments.
- Each candidate will be evaluated by management utilizing a general review and testing of the individual’s skills to determine if, in the opinion of management, the candidate is qualified to perform the duties for this position.
- Language skills: A TSE will possess very good oral and written (usually email) communication skills to effectively interact with customers, suppliers, and fellow employees. Our primary language is English.
Math, Chemistry, Physics, Process Controls Skills: Certain specific knowledge is essential in order to perform the listed duties and responsibilities.
1. The candidate must demonstrate the requisite math skills to properly carry out his/her responsibilities. A good understanding of college level algebra is required.
2. The candidate should be familiar with the periodic table, specifically gases. Knowledge of acids, bases, inert elements, balancing chemical reaction equations, and the like are important too.
3. The candidate should have a superior familiarity of heat transfer and fluid flow specifically related to industrial gas emissions analysis.
4. The candidate must demonstrate a superior familiarity of industrial process control, specifically PID control of heated/cooled vessels/enclosures.
5. Knowledge of potentiometric output signals and milliamp loops is mandatory.
6. Knowledge of HART protocol, FFB protocol, RS232/422/485, and Modbus is highly desirable.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently without supervision.
- Knowledge and practice of safe working habits.
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 100 pounds and up to 50 pounds overhead.
- Ability to use appropriate electronic test equipment to perform the essential duties and responsibilities as listed above.
- Must have accurate color vision acuity.